7 May 2012 –
|Do you wish you were part of a professional music association that recognises your talent and potential? Do you have big ambitions but limited resources?
Are you an established artist climbing the ladder of success only to have found you’ve reached a glass ceiling? Or are you an ambitious musician struggling to break into a competitive market?
Are you a photographer, graphic designer or clothes designer wishing to interact with the music industry? Do you have fencing or staging or lighting equipment available for hire?
Are you a venue looking to host live music but do not know what is required and what legal requirements you need to fulfil? As a music professional, you can enjoy the fruits of a thriving music industry without having to relocate to another province. If you have a service that would be valuable to the provincial music industry, we seek your participation.
The Kwa-Zulu Natal United Music Industry Association (Kumisa) is currently embarking on a large scale membership drive and is looking to recruit you- our provinces valued musicians and music industry service providers – to join our ranks.
Kumisa is a non-profit, regional music industry organisation created through a partnership between the eThekwini municipality’s Durban Film Office, operating under the auspices of the Economic Development Unit, and the provincial Department of Economic Development and Tourism, that aims to serve and represent the interests of the music industry in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN), nationally and internationally.
Kumisa is created with the purpose of facilitating your needs and desires and protecting and furthering your interests.
Nkosinathi Mshengu (Chairperson) says: “We at Kumisa look to invest in the growth and diversity of the KZN music industry. Look no further than Kumisa to broaden your horizons.”
As a Kumisa member you will enjoy a range of benefits;
- Affiliation to a professional and credible association. Kumisa is a formal body with strong ties in local, provincial and national government, external stakeholders and playmakers.
- Recognition and respect. Kumisa acknowledges professional talent and treats each artist with the integrity and respect you rightfully deserve.
- Regulation of discrepancies. Just like any official body, we abide by a code of conduct that governs practice and implementation.
- Acceptance and appreciation. Kumisa considers all genres of music as equals- we prioritise the preservation and promotion of indigenous KZN music as well as all commercial music.
- Strength in numbers. Kumisa lobby’s on your behalf with policy-makers – we protect, promote and advocate for the rights of all music industry practitioners within our membership.
- We give you a name. We create an artist profile and listing to get your name out there and visible to potential clients.
- We give you a voice. Kumisa fosters an invaluable link between industry, government and artists. We also give you a say in the way things are governed.
- Gateway to endless opportunities. Kumisa members chose from a selection of programmes such as workshops and seminars to up skill and support music business across the value chain to better access local and international opportunities.
- We create dialogue. Kumisa promotes the networking and communication between music industry professionals. We also give you access to relevant information with regular updates on news, industry issues, events and business opportunities;
- Personalised service. We understand that needs differ for artist, hence we offer individual packages to suit your needs.
- Open book policy. Kumisa invites all members and stakeholders to our Annual General Meeting to report on the progress of KUMISA, while at the same time providing a platform for launching activities for the ensuing year.
Kumisa’s ultimate goal is to accelerate the development of a sustainable and financially productive music industry within the province. We want to arrive at a destination where our province is revered for the promotion and appreciation of local music.
Our agenda is twofold; to develop the capacity of KZN music business to actively compete and thrive in a national market, as well as to promote and package KZN music for global market accessibility.
It is our mission to create well-rounded artists that possess not only raw talent but strong business acumen, hence Kumisa undertakes to improve the skills levels of each artist as well as in creating support programmes that expose music professionals to government incentives, funding organizations and financing.
We value entrepreneurs and recognise the need to create sustainability-we find it within our corporate responsibility to facilitate support for music industry SMME’s.
Kumisa prides itself as a pioneer in cutting edge technology and development. To maintain our lead as frontrunners, we lead a highly skilled team to aid new research and development of the local music industry by unpacking key issues such as new growth platforms for sales and distribution, audience and consumer markets revenue streams, regulation of live performances and airplay, copyright and royalty protection and much more.
Kumisa provides all these services and more here in the comfort of your “home”- you do not have to relocate to another province to access quality and professional services. Become part of a movement that drives your agenda.
Kumisa is a non – profit music industry support organization, which exists to support and help sustain music industry activity and participants in the province of KwaZulu-Natal. The areas which Kumisa focuses on are to support and accelerate the development of a financially viable and sustainable industry, to facilitate, promote and package KZN music for global market accessibility, to bridge the digital divide and improve skills levels, business capacity and support SMME’s, It also exists to promote networking and communication between music industry professionals, and to protect, promote and advocate for the rights of these professionals. Kumisa is a vehicle supported by the eThekwini Municipality and the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Economic Development and Tourism. www.kumisa.com